7/04/2011

Next year...

I don't know about you but I've had a bit of a lonely holiday today. I spent most of the day inside and out of the heat. What I wouldn't give for a nice swimming pool. Like many people, I tend to get nostalgic on certain holidays and the 4th of July is usually one of them. Until I was in college, my family and I celebrated the 4th on the coast of South Carolina. We'd spend the day on the beach, walk home, have a summery dinner and a dessert that typically consisted of whipped cream and blueberries. Once the sun went down, we'd grab some chairs and head back to the beach for the fireworks. When my paternal grandfather was alive he was known for his impressive fireworks. It would be a huge show for everyone at the beach and all the kids would light up their sparklers and run around in the sand. I would always mentally "mark" 4 July as the half way point of my summer vacations and wish I could rewind back to June. I've been out of the loop when it comes to this holiday in recent years. I spent two 4th of July's in London which I always thought was ironic and I haven't really done much of anything for the day since moving to California. Oh well, maybe next year...


Image