Ahh, I completely forgot that yesterday was Friday. I've had a weird schedule this week. So, here's 1 Artist / 1 Piece a wee bit late. Better late then never!
This is one of my favorite paintings by Kandinsky. At the Norton Simon Museum, they have his piece "Heavy Circles" which is from around the same time period. There's a wall plaque next to "Heavy Circles" which describes Kandinsky's thoughts on circles.
"Why does the circle fascinate me? It is:
1. the most modest form, but asserts itself unconditionally
2. a precise, but inexhaustible variable
3. simultaneously stable and unstable
4. simultaneously loud and soft
5. a single tension that carries countless tensions within it
The circle is the synthesis of the greatest oppositions. It combines the concentric and the eccentric in a single form and in equilibrium. Of the three primary forms, it points most clearly to the fourth dimension.”