7/16/2010

Musée Carnavalet and the Bijouterie of George Fouquet

If this title sort of sounds like the 2nd film in some weird French trilogy, um, it's not. Now I love French films but this is soo much better! Musée Carnavalet is devoted to the history of Paris and they aren't kidding around. It's basically a renaissance jewel that became the home of writer Madame de Sévigné and if the names Catherine de Medici, Henry IV, Jacques-Louis David, Robespierre, Marie Antoinette, Émile Zola, Marcel Proust, and Henri Cartier-Bresson mean anything to you, you should probably high tail it over there next time you find yourself in Paris. Unfortunately, I never made it to Musée Carnavalet during my stay in Paris due to some unsavory and seriously questionable things that went down. I'm still amazed that I wasn't unknowingly cast as the lead in some wacky travel mishap movie with Chevy Chase or Steve Martin. It was that insane, folks. All in all, I had some lovely golden moments in Paris and I would love to go back. ANYWAY, that's not what I'm meant to be rambling about! I'm eager to share my favorite part of Musée Carnavalet! George Fouquet's jewelry shop! If you have a penchant for Art Nouveau then you will go nutso for this like I did. The shop was designed by the famous Alphonse Mucha (you know the posters) in 1901 and once resided on Rue Royale. It's a gorgeous concoction of flowing lines, flora, and peacocks. Mucha really outdid himself with this and I love every centimeter of it!


Image via Verhext


Image via Verhext


Image via www.linternaute.com

Main counter

Image via MollyGoLightly

Display case!

Image via MollyGoLightly