7/13/2010

From the vaults...

I hope no one was desperately hoping for a Rose Bowl flea market recap today. Apparently I am just not meant to attend this thing! I completely forgot that the final match of the World Cup was the same day. Luke and I ended up trying to go to a Barney's Beanery to watch it but by the time we arrived there wasn't a single table left and I was sooo not standing for the whole thing. Upsetting because I really wanted a Belgian waffle too. So, we were running out of time and ducked into a random (read: crappy) sports-ish/pool hall-ish bar instead. Got a table in front of the ridiculously large TV and had some pizza. The match (if you missed it) went into crazy overtime. If only yellow cards had been goals. By the time the match was over there was not enough time for the flea market. Bleh. Next month...I'm determined to go! I also have the Renegade Craft Fair coming up this month!! Ok, enough rambling from me. Luke found something we've searched for online before and could never find! "Destino", a short film by Dalí and, get this, Disney! Who'd have thought it? I remember telling Luke about this film before we were even dating. I first saw it at the Tate Modern(my favorite museum) in 2007 during a GREAT Dalí exhibition. I even remembered the theme tune. Check it out! It's so sad it was never completed and released back then. It's WAY ahead of its time as it was started in 1945. In 2000, Disney's nephew found it while working on Fantasia 2000. "A team of approximately 25 animators deciphered Dalí and Hench's cryptic storyboards (with a little help from the journals of Dalí's wife Gala Dalí and guidance from Hench himself), and finished Destino's production. The end result is mostly traditional animation, including Hench's original footage, but it also contains some computer animation. The 18 second original footage that is included in the finished product is the segment with the two tortoises."(source)